Dr. Walt Sweeny of The Bougainvillea Clinique in Winter Park, FL, provides a wide selection of surgical procedures to assist patients in looking and feeling their best. This includes abdominoplasty, more commonly known as a tummy tuck. This procedure requires the removal of fat and skin, as well as the tightening of the abdominal muscles, for a firmer, tighter, and more contoured midsection. Many patients considering this treatment often have questions about the recovery process and the risks of the surgery.
Healing and recovery following the abdominoplasty procedure
Most people report excellent healing and recovery following abdominoplasty surgery. There are, however, some common side effects and potential complications that you should be aware of. These include:
- Swelling. This is the most common side effect following surgery. It typically takes several weeks to subside. Your surgeon may prescribe medication to help reduce swelling. Walking can also bring it down.
- Bruising. Bruising is also common after this surgical procedure. It usually lasts for a few weeks. Again, your surgeon may prescribe medication to help reduce bruising.
- Pain. You will likely experience some pain and discomfort. Your surgeon will prescribe pain medication to help minimize discomfort.
- Numbness. You might experience some numbness around the incision sites, though this is typically temporary and resolves over time on its own.
- Infection. Although rare, an infection can occur after surgery. If you experience any noticeable signs of infection, including redness, swelling, pain, and fever, please contact your surgeon.
- Seroma. A seroma is a collection of fluid under the skin. It can occur after surgery and may require drainage from your surgeon.
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT). DVT is a relatively rare complication that can occur after surgery. It happens when a thrombus, or blood clot, starts to form in a deep vein, usually in the leg. If left untreated, it can be serious or even life-threatening. Symptoms include pain, redness, and swelling in the affected limb. If you experience any of the above issues, please contact Dr. Walt Sweeney immediately.
Schedule a consultation visit with the team at The Bougainvillea Clinique
Dr. Walt Sweeney in Winter Park, FL, is pleased to offer a wide range of breast, body, and facial procedures to help you to look and feel your absolute best every day! If you are ready to discuss your options for treatment with our experienced team of professionals, call 407-678-3116 to request an appointment. We are open to assisting patients in and around the community with their cosmetic goals.